Michigan War Veterans Memorial (MI)

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Michigan War Veterans Memorial (MI)

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Michigan War Veterans Memorial (MI)

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Michigan War Veterans Memorial (MI)

Click for larger image

Information

Title

Michigan War Veterans Memorial (MI)

Date

dedicated September 10, 1939

Description

The Michigan War Veterans Memorial is a roughly 35-foot-tall pillar topped by an eternal flame. It is covered on all four sides by about 300 plaques and stones donated by, and inscribed with the names of, Michigan veterans organizations. It was dedicated before a crowd of 5,000 people on September 10, 1939, on the on the southwest corner of the former Michigan State Fairgrounds.

The memorial is in extremely poor condition. Many of the plaques have been stolen, and the eternal flame (originally fed by natural gas, and rebuilt in 1954 to use electric lights) no longer functions. Veterans hope to restore the memorial (and some want to move it to a more central location), but restoration costs are estimated at $150,000-$200,000.

Location

northeast corner of Woodward and State Fair Avenues
Detroit, Wayne, Michigan