Belleau Wood Second Division Memorial (IL)

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Belleau Wood Second Division Memorial (IL)

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Belleau Wood Second Division Memorial (IL)

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Belleau Wood Second Division Memorial (IL)

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Belleau Wood Second Division Memorial (IL)

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Belleau Wood Second Division Memorial (IL)

Click for larger image

Information

Title

Belleau Wood Second Division Memorial (IL)

Date

dedicated June 5, 1926

Description

The Belleau Wood Second Division Memorial was erected by the Second Division Association in a small forest preserve on June 5, 1926. The memorial marks the renaming of the preserve, formerly known as Senne Wood, to Belleau Wood, after the famed battle in France in June 1918.

The dedication was previewed in the Palatine Enterprise newspaper, May 28, 1926, p. 11:

Col. MacNider to Unveil Memorial

Col. Hanford MacNider, assistant secretary of war and national president of the Second Division Association, will deliver the dedicatory address on June 5, at the unveiling of the monument in the Forest Preserve, Rand and Ballard roads, Des Plaines, to commemorate the Second Division services in the World War. The announcement was made at a meeting of the Second Division association at the Hotel La Salle. Maj. Gen. John A. LeJeune, last commander of the division; Anton Cermak, president of the County Board, and Father Darche, who served with the Sixth Regiment of Marines and was the highest decorated chaplain of the A. E. F.. will participate in the ceremonies. The site of the memorial has been renamed Belleau Wood. The dedication is part of the program of the division’s reunion in Chicago, June 3, 4 and 5.

The memorial is a long, narrow, elliptically shaped slab. It features the painted insignia of the Second Division (an Indian head in profile against a star). Several small metal plaques have been added across the top of the memorial marking its rededication in 1977 for World War II and the Korean War and honoring locals from the Second Division who served in those wars. In 2009, a separate memorial boulder with plaque was unveiled next to the original memorial to honor the particular role of the US marines in the Battle of Belleau Wood (see separate entry).

Inscription:
BELLEAV WOOD
FORMERLY KNOWN AS
SENNE WOOD
NAMED TO DEDICATE THE SERVICES
RENDERED BY THE MAN OF THE
SECOND DIVISION
IN THE WORLD WAR
1917     1918

Location

Rand Road and Ballard Road
Des Plaines, Cook County

Contributing Institution

Charles Groff