First Presbyterian Church of Champaign World War Memorial (IL)

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
First Presbyterian Church of Champaign World War Memorial (IL)

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
First Presbyterian Church of Champaign World War Memorial (IL)

Click for larger image

Information

Title

First Presbyterian Church of Champaign World War Memorial (IL)

Date

c. 1920

Description

An arch-shaped bronze plaque with raised gilded lettering honors the members of the church and congregation who served in the war, including three named men who lost their lives.

The plaque was reported in a 1920 trade magazine:

"J. E. Filson, Champaign, Ill. is the treasurer of a special fund of the First Presbyterian Church, to install a handsome bronze tablet in the Church dedicated to the patriotism of its members during the late war."

Source: American Stone Trade (Nov. 1920): 20.

Inscription:

IN HONOR OF THE
MEMBERS OF THE FIRST
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AND
CONGREGATION WHO SERVED OUR
NATION AND THE CAUSE OF WORLD
LIBERTY IN THE GREAT WAR.
1917 -- 1918
AND IN MEMORY OF THESE THREE
WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE

RAYMOND W. PARKER
ELAM ALLEN ANKRUM
LOUIS ALBERT KELLER

Location

First Presbyterian Church
302 W Church St.
Champaign, Champaign County, Illinois

Contributing Institution

Chris Penny