Los Angeles Public Library Memorial Branch

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Los Angeles Public Library Memorial Branch

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Los Angeles Public Library Memorial Branch

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Los Angeles Public Library Memorial Branch

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Los Angeles Public Library Memorial Branch

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Los Angeles Public Library Memorial Branch

Click for larger image

Place cursor over image and scroll to zoom and pan.
For mobile devices, pinch to zoom and pan.
Los Angeles Public Library Memorial Branch

Click for larger image

Information

Title

Los Angeles Public Library Memorial Branch

Creator

John C. Austin and Frederick M. Ashley, architects
Judson Art Studio, memorial window

Date

dedicated April 29, 1930

Description

From History of the Memorial Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library (undated, unattributed typescript, c. 1945):

"In 1923 the Student Body and Alumni Association of the Los Angeles High School purchased the property between Muirfield and Mullen Avenues from Olympic Blvd. halfway to 9th Street, and deeded it to the City as a memorial park for the alumni who gave their lives to their country in World War I.. Six years later, the Park Board gave the Library Board the right to erect a Branch Library. The architecture was chosen to parallel that of the the School, which is the scholastic type of the Tudor period."

On the memorial stained glass windows:
"The symbols and insignia are shown as decoration on the shields and in the top row of windows represent the various armed forces -- the Infantry, Field Artillery, Navy, Marine Corps, Engineers and Aviation.

In the second row of windows the tower of the old L.A. High School, the seal of the city of L.A., the coat of arms of the United States, the California state flag, the coat of arms of the L.A. High School, and the tower of the present L.A. High school building are represented.

The lower row of light (two center panels) have the memorial tablets giving the names of the alumni who died in the service. The shields on either side carry the emblem of ""Sacrifice,"" pictured by the legend of the Pelican in Piety, and on either end is an heraldic arrangement of the poem ""In Flanders Field.""

Across the base of the window is the inscrIption ""Dedicated to the Alumni of the Los Angeles High School who died in the World War. 1914—1918. May the sacrifice of these lives contribute to the establishment of peace among nations.”

In consideration of the educational purpose of this library, there has been scattered throughout this window on the geometrIcal field pictorial illustrations of the arts and sciences.

source: History of the Memorial Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library (undated, unattributed typescript, c. 1945):
http://dbase1.lapl.org/webpics/calindex/documents/12/521419.pdf

Location

4625 West Olympic Boulevard
Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California

Identifier

87001015; part of thematic group (1987)

Contributing Institution

Courtland Jindra